When I moved back home for the summer, I felt that I needed contribute something to the house in exchange for my parents’ generosity. When my little brother told me that he wanted a little more control over his nutrition, I figured that offering to make a meal with him every week would be the perfect way to add a little extra value to the household.
When I got down to it, though, it was hard to find something that was hearty and meaty enough for the near-carnivorous end of the house in my mostly light/veggie based dinner repertoire. In the end I decided on a homemade lentil falafel in pita bread with the 5 Minute Magic Green Sauce from A Pinch of Yum’s recipes.
My brother ended up having dinner with his friends, so I’m not sure what he would think of it, but everyone else seemed pretty impressed! It certainly wasn’t a five minute dinner, but it was definitely worth the 45 minutes-hour of prep.
I know it isn’t dessert, but it is all baked in the oven, so it’s still well within my comfort zone. Plus, when it’s this easy, why not?
Roasted Carrots Ingredients:
- 5-7 carrots
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp each of cumin, salt, and pepper
Roasted Carrot Destructions:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the carrots into thin slices and place on a roasting pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the carrots and sprinkle with the cumin, salt, and pepper, and toss the carrots on the pan so that they’re coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Set aside to cool.
Lentil Falafel Ingredients:
- 2 cups of cooked lentils (if you haven’t pre-cooked the lentils, boil some water, throw in about a cup of dry lentils, and simmer for about 20 minutes)
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 cup of chopped parsley leaves and stems
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (or, if you like me suddenly find mold on your garlic, about 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- Dash of lemon or lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all ingredients except flour to food processor or blender and pulse until combined into mostly dry crumbles.
- Gently stir in the flour 1 Tbsp at a time until the mixture is dry enough to form. Hand-press the dough into 9-12 patties a little smaller than the size of your palm and bake on a baking tray for 18 minutes, turning over once.
- Set aside to cool.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 packed cup of parsley and cilantro leaves combined
- 1 jalopeno (remove ribs and seeds if you don’t want it spicy!)
- 2 cloves of garlic (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice (1-2 limes worth)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
Green Sauce Destructions:
- Add all ingredients except pistachios to food processor or blender and pulse until combined.
- Add pistachios and pulse until desired consistency (mostly smooth?)
- Serve as a dip, spread, or sauce. Cover and store for a few days.
- 3-4 pieces of pita bread
- 9-12 falafel
- roasted carrots
- green sauce
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 ripe tomatoes
Sandwich Assembly Instructions:
- Start with roasting the carrots. While they are baking, mix and mold the falafel. Take the carrots out of the oven to cool, turn down the heat, and bake the falafel.
- While the falafel is baking, prepare the green sauce. Clean and cut the spinach and tomatoes as desired.
- Set out all of the ingredients and have each person fill their own pita pocket as desired! Serves 3-4.